I recently had the honor of being on the launch team for Bonnie Gray’s book “Whispers of Rest”, which launches today, May 23rd. Bonnie has written a 40-day devotional that is spirit-filled and speaks to the weary places in your soul. She shares prayers, bible verses, biblical stories, her own life experiences, and practical ways to find and create rest in your life and get closer to Jesus. Every word Bonnie writes is faith-filled and inspirational. As I read her book I highlighted almost every page and I journaled along as I read each page. I want to share some of the many highlights and “aha” moments I found in “Whispers of Rest”.
Here are a few of the quotes written by Bonnie Gray from “Whispers of Rest” that spoke to my soul:
- “What makes you beautiful is God’s very hand moving within you in the small moments-with peace, joy, and beauty. God’s love is a seed blossoming-through the ideas and dreams He inspires in you-an inner beauty glowing that far exceeds anything we’ve lost in the past. Be assured. God is faithful. He will not abandon the work of hands. God says, “I will complete this work in you.” You belong to Him.”
- “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will complete it.” Philippians 1:6
- “When he looks straight into the secret place within you, God sees the real you.”
- “Beloved, don’t be afraid. You don’t have to try so hard. Lay down your burdens. Let me take them from you. So that you can run free. You’re my Beloved. Come with me to a new way of living. Say yes. I will set your heart free.”
- “God’s whispers are calling you to experience Him more than what you can do for Him on this journey. Jesus wants you to say yes to surrendering your heart, rather than putting your safety into executing a plan.”
- “Dear Jesus, Help me to let go of my empty nests and hold on to your instead. Even though I’m afraid, help me to say yes to you. I want to follow you whenever you call me to go. I don’t want to try so hard anymore. Set my heart free. Amen.”
- “My one-word prayer is surrender. It is meaningful to me because I am in a season of trials, waiting, sadness, and needing You more. But in a different way. I need You, Jesus, more intimately. I want my first response to any tribulation or praise to be focused toward You, for You, about You, and in You. I want to surrender, let go of the net and just BE with You, Lord. I surrender all that I am Sweet Jesus. I surrender.”
- “Like stars glimmering at rest in the night, faith is a quiet, hushed conversation with God-intimately confiding what we desire and fear.”
- “Today, when stress grips you and you’re tempted to retreat into busyness, stop. Be still and breathe.”
- “God sees us in the dark. If we remember there is Someone close, a Voice of Love whispering to us, our spiritual eyes can adjust and we begin to see the beauty of the journey we’re on.”
- “If we turned back to only what we know, we would miss out on the beautiful journey God has for us now.”
- “We need to let God into our messy, unorganized thoughts-our unabashed excitement, dreams and desires, and our feelings of confusion. Sometimes, we need to voice the questions we’d rather avoid. We need to let God in.”
I was so blessed by Bonnie Gray’s book “Whispers of Rest” and I know that there are so many of us out there that struggle with unrest. We are so busy these days rushing about, planning, working, and always thinking of the next thing to do. We all need a rest I think. A rest that only God can provide. A rest of peace, calm, quiet, and spirit-filled. I pray you consider purchasing Bonnie’s amazing devotional and find the rest that your soul desperately needs.
I am presently going through a rough season and my soul is weary and Bonnie’s book came to me in God’s perfect timing. He knows how desperately I need to be in a place of rest, in Him. As I read through “Whispers of Rest” my soul quieted, I could feel the Lord speaking to me through Bonnie’s spirit-filled words. I began to see the effects my “busyness” was having upon me and my spiritual life. I needed refreshment and my thirst needed to be quenched by the words of Jesus in Bonnie’s 40-day devotional. Her words lifted me up and shed light on areas of my life that were hidden in darkness. I was refreshed and spiritually fed by the prayers and practical ways I could implement rest into my busy daily life. I journaled as I read through the pages answering the soul-searching questions she provided. I feel Bonnie’s book has given me a cornerstone to seek and practice a true rest in my life. I look forward to using her devotional as a way to maintain and further peaceful rest in my everyday life.
Bonnie Gray lives in California with her husband and two sons.
She launched Faith Barista, serving up shots of faith for the daily grind. Bonnie is a featured writer for DaySpring’s (In)Courage and Relevant Magazine. She was named by Publisher’s Weekly as one of the top 6 new religion authors in 2014.
Her blog Faith Barista is syndicated on Crosswalk.com and iBelieve. Her writing is nationally published and spotlighted in Christianity Today, Catalyst Leadership, Today’s Christian Woman, and McClatchy-Tribune News Services.
Subscribe to the blog
Subscribe to our blog and receive this free PDF 12 Verses of Hope!